A landmark agreement between Vic Roads and the Yorta Yorta on 18 December 2003 formalised a partnership between us as the traditional owner group and Victoria’s road authority.
The agreement, applies to an area of approximately 6,500 square km between Cohuna, Euroa and Corowa in northern Victoria.
Key features of the agreement include:
- a commitment to ongoing consultation with Yorta Yorta Nation during the planning, construction and maintenance of road projects;
- processes relating to cultural heritage identification and protection during all stages of road projects;
- processes for the provision of targeted resourcing and training assistance to Yorta Yorta Nation;
- a framework for the creation of project-specific agreements that can be used to specify process and operational details; and,
- a dispute resolution procedure.
The Vic Roads Agreement is due for review. All parties have agreed to commence the process for review of the Agreement in 2009.